Jezabel P. Lima is a Partner of the firm. She focuses her practice on labor and employment, complex commercial litigation and civil appellate litigation. Ms. Lima provides litigation and consultation services to employers on a variety of labor and employment issues. Consultation services include counseling on hiring, retention, and termination disputes, policymaking and risk management, litigation assessment, onsite investigation of internal complaints, company-wide seminars, preparation of responses to charges of discrimination, administration of wage and hour disputes, management of independent contractors, and the enforcement and defense of non-competition agreements. Ms. Lima offers assistance to employers with the drafting and revision of their employment manuals, preparation of internal memoranda and policies, job descriptions, job applications, employment and separation agreements, and negotiation of pre-suit demands and settlement agreements. With respect to litigation, she handles every phase, including mediation and appeal. Most recently, Ms. Lima has defended clients against, and counseled clients through: (i) pregnancy, age, race, sexual orientation, and national origin discrimination charges; (ii) FMLA litigation; (iii) FLSA litigation; (iv) sexual harassment suits; and (v) allegations of violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Areas of Experience
- Labor and Employment
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
Awards and Recognitions
- Florida State Law Review Member
- Order of the Coif, Florida State University College of Law
- Civil Procedure Book Award, Florida State University College of Law
- Contracts II Book Award, Florida State University College of Law
- Creditors’ Rights Book Award, Florida State University College of Law
- Author of “Nothing Left of INDOPCO: Let’s Keep it That Way!”, 29 Fla. State Univ. Law Rev. 277 (2001), an article concerning the tax treatment of corporate acquisition costs.
- Author of “Navigating through Pregnancy Discrimination Legislation: The State of Affairs for Employers and Employees under Our Federal, State, and Local Law”, published by the Dade County Bar Bulletin in May 2010.
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- District of Columbia
- Florida International University (B.B.A., magna cum laude, 1998)
- Florida State University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2001)