Marcelo Diaz-Cortes is a litigation attorney who focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts and arbitral tribunals. Mr. Diaz-Cortes has represented clients—from individual investors to Fortune 500 companies—in various high-stakes disputes. He draws on this experience and his federal clerkship to navigate through all aspects of litigation and dispute resolution, including pre-suit negotiation, trial, judgment enforcement, and appeal.
Before attending law school, Mr. Diaz-Cortes earned his Bachelor of Science, summa cum laude, from Florida State University, where he graduated with a 4.0 grade point average and first in his graduating class. Mr. Diaz-Cortes then received his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from the University of Florida Levin College of Law, where he served as Research Editor of the Florida Law Review.
Mr. Diaz-Cortes began his career with Levine Kellogg, immediately assuming active roles in eight and nine-figure cases. Mr. Diaz-Cortes left the firm to serve as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Barbara Lagoa on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Before rejoining the firm, Mr. Diaz-Cortes also worked as a litigation associate at a large international law firm.
Areas of Experience
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Creditors’ Rights & Bankruptcy
Awards and Recognitions
- Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, Florida Rising Stars 2020-2021
- National Order of the Coif
- Book Awards: Advanced Problems in Bankruptcy (Spring 2015) & Legal Drafting (Fall 2013)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Jeffrey C. Schneider & Marcelo Diaz-Cortes, The Bitter Side of Ius Pecuniae in the United States: The Risks Facing EB-5 Investors, FLA. BAR INT’L LAW Q., Spring 2017, at 37.
- Marcelo Diaz-Cortes, The “Tech Support” Industry: A Legal Minefield for the Merchant Processing Industry, PAYMENTS J. (July 11, 2018), https://www.paymentsjournal.com/the-tech-support-industry-a-legal-minefield-for-the-merchant-processing-industry/
- Jeffrey C. Schneider, Stephanie Reed Traband & Marcelo Diaz-Cortes, Florida’s Attorney General Is Putting ‘Tech Support’ on Life Support, DAILY BUSINESS REVIEW, July 12, 2018
- Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats, 2019 Half-Year Conference, Miami, FL, Future Evidence – Proving your case in the 2020s, Moderator (Nov. 1, 2019
- University of Florida Levin College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2015)
- Florida State University (B.S., summa cum laude, 2012)
Professional and Community Involvement
- Federal Bar Association
- Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats (International Association of Young Lawyers)
- Dade County Bar Association